We drew all over the map on where we wanted to go and we decided that we are going to drive from Dallas to Philadelphia.... call us crazy! We set up our entire trip on Roadtrippers, I researched a billion hotels, and "how to travel with a toddler" over and over again on pinterest. Over analyzed finances, and murdered the excitement of spontaneity. lol. We have every stop lined out, every battle field of importance marked. We have this thing in the bag. Then we realized we have to actually get the time off and afford it. lol
3 or 4 days ago I remembered that we hadn't done our taxes yet. So I instantly started working on those, we most always get a return and have only had minor fees to pay in Arizona once so the odds should be in our favor! I hounded my sister for her ex-husband to pay for babysitting ( just kidding I just remembered I hadn't turned in the dates so I did lol). We looked at our savings and what we could spare. Luckily our taxes this year were pretty simple. Every year I am reminded on how much I need to be better at keeping receipts for medical expenses... ugh.... I am the worst. Luckily there is banking statements but it's almost impossible to catch everything. After finishing the taxes, before submitting, I was somewhat disappointed with our return but it was on the plus side so I was trying not to be too ungrateful. But after Jeff talked to Kasey and got information on how to get his tax return papers from the University, we put those numbers in and I was MUCH happier with our return! Submit.
We contemplated and over thought about the days we could probably go and were looking at April or May. We decided April may be better because of the weather circumstances being that May is tornado season, but when I went to apply for the time off the time was already taken so May it was! I think it will work out okay because Kasey and Aubrey will be here the exact days we were wanting to go in April, so we will be able to spend time with them and the boys. So I applied for my days of PTO and time off Saturday night before going home from work.
We got approved for the days off! Woohoo! So now Jeff needs to apply for his days. lol. We also need to PLAN, SAVE, BUY, ORGANIZE, CLEAN, PLAN, OVER ANALYZE, BOOK, everything!
I usually am not too keen on the idea of driving ANYWHERE but this time I am so excited to just hit the open road and not have a plan (for the most part). We are going to take it easy, not have an agenda, and just DO what we WANT to do and create memories for our little family.
I was thinking the other day after looking at the quote up on our mantel by President Monson about building our homes. I was thinking about how in the eye of the eternities, we only have our children as CHILDREN for less than two decades. That is mortifying and motivating to me. It is something I will have to master as a mother to remember, but we only have this time to shape, create, and build their minds, emotions, memories, and lives- to what we want them to know, for a minuscule amount of time. Someone that you love so incredibly much that you would move mountains for, will be on their own, building their own eternities and families and memories, for more many years than you will ever have them for. It really is depressing as a mom to think about, but something I need to remember every day before I waste moments I will never get back. SO, as a family we are putting our phones down, looking up, and enjoying each other more, INVESTING our time instead of spending it. I really am praying and hoping this turns into a positive experience that will motivate us to get out more and learn to love enjoying the simple things!
No comments:
Post a Comment