Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Headed Home

May 15, 2018
Tuesday
Home!

For not leaving until 10:30 we made really good time and got in around 10:30! 12 hours + from Knoxville to Mckinney and Easton was such a champion. We stopped in Memphis for lunch at chic-fil-a where Easton could play on the playground. And that really was the only stop he had besides a gas station.

We took the morning to sleep in and collect our things. Not that we intentionally took a long time but we weren’t going to rush Easton. After a really good sleep and really good breakfast at the comfort inn, I let Easton wear himself out by running all over, climbing up the stairs, and walking outside. I was really hoping to just knock him out when he got in the car so we wouldn’t get at least one solid nap to drive without stopping. The plan had worked according to plan except he only slept for like 20 minutes. However, he woke up and continued watching his movie without a peep, like nothing had happened whatsoever lol.

Easton was getting a smidge restless but we did our best to carry on by shoving snacks and miscellaneous things at him to entertain him. After a poorly fought war, he fell asleep. Just as we were deciding on which place to stop to let him run and grab lunch. Luckily though, it gave us time to push onward. Deeper into west Tennessee. We finally made it to the Memphis area, giving us only 6 more hours left in our trip. Aka half way. I felt really good that we were able to make it that far without too much complaint from Easton!

We stopped and got out at Chic-fil-a and he played in the playground all by himself while we watched from the window and enjoyed our lunch in peace. After he got all his wiggles out, a few waffle fries down, and Dad’s milkshake on board, we hit the road again. Hoping he would clonk out. He didn’t for 75% of the trip. He finally fell asleep with about an hour left around 9 pm.

On the way home we stopped at a gas station. Being responsible adults we turned our car off. I went to go potty and see what kind of goods the gas station had…. Krispy Kremes- so good ones. While Jeff got gas. I came back out to our hood open and Jeff talking to an old biker looking guy. I guess our battery decided to stop working again so we needed a jumpstart and this nice man helped Jeff out. And luckily had cables. We let Easton out for a few wiggles while the car got fixed and then we were off.

We had made it this WHOLE trip with no missed exits, no serious car troubles, and no wrong turns and the LAST HOUR WE BLOW IT! I guess to get to Mckinney you take a road north instead of staying on through Dallas. Me in my infinite wisdom said to turn off the GPS, we can just follow the road signs through. Thinking we would just merge onto 380…. WRONG. We totally missed it. We had to backtrack down sketchy farm roads onto the freeway to get back on the way to Mckinney instead of going to Dallas. I was so mad. Haha.

I suppose it gave Easton a few minutes of uninterrupted sleep until we hit a bump 10 minutes away from Jill’s house to get Kenai. Easton flipped out the entire way after that bump. Nothing was calming him down.
He finally came to his sense when I got him out of the car seat at Jill’s house. We rolled in around 10:30. We made awesome time!  I pointed to the house, hoping he would recognize it and he did! He just giggled in relief seeing that it was a part of home. It was hysterical.

I guess this trip bit us in the bum because it made Easton really clingy and shy towards everyone else. Now that mom had been with me for two uninterrupted weeks, why would I want anyone else? Jill AND Nate were both chop liver.
He is slowly warming back up to them. One yogurt and snack at a time.

The best part of the whole night was when we finally got home. We hadn’t let our car stop since we left the gas station, just in case it died again and we’re stranded. So at Jill’s it didn’t change, we left the car running. We get everyone and pup loaded up and head home- finally! So ready for my bed! And then of course, our garage opener doesn’t work. So we turned the car off to get the key off the ring, hoping it would be the one to our house. It unfortunately wasn’t and then when we tried to get the car started to go get a key from someone who might, the car wouldn’t start! We were toast! The car is stuck, we’re stuck, the doors are all locked….. We were doing so good till we got home!!!!
Luckily, Jill had a key and came and saved us. She asked Aubrey to not lock the renters lock incase they needed something and lucky us because it got us back into our house!

Easton immediately ran all over the house, just so excited that it was his house and his toys, all back! It was hysterical to watch him play with toys he has never played with before. Dragging the night on longer but too fun not to let go on. He needed to get the energy out anyway. He was a hoot.

He went to bed around 12:30 and I was not far behind him. I was toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment