Sunday, March 8, 2015

Be Prepared.

I was extremely blessed growing up. My parents were ALWAYS reading. (a book on symbolism and stuff like that HERE - just one of MANY - also Poppa Thompson's Hatch Day Present, we're working on it) As annoying as it was for my dad to constantly ask me questions about the Old Testament and give me " SO COOL" facts at least every other hour, it paid off. 
I've recently been thinking a lot about the temple. We've been going a lot more frequently and studying it a lot more to find deeper meanings to things.
which basically means my dad has been studying and telling us super cool stuff haha.
We've had a greater desire to go, to understand, and to help those in need. Like I said earlier, we got to do sealings and the "sallador" told us about how children, husbands, and wives aren't together until we're sealed for them. They're just all alone. How stinking sad!? 
It recently has occurred (? came to attention ? ) that it is SO HARD to be prepared to enter into the temple for the first time. Especially if you are closed to the idea of being prepared before entering. People have said that after they had gone through, there have been things they weren't comfortable with or don't understand, things they were taught or weren't taught OUTSIDE of the temple that correlate or don't correlate with INSIDE the temple are:
  1.  Hypocrisy - comparison's to other churches - clothing
  2.  Not things we were taught in Primary or YW's
  3.  Not going by the scriptures
  4. Not understanding anything
When I had the opportunity to go through I was never upset or hurt or surprised by anything I had seen or done in the temple. But like I said, I was lucky. It was a common thing in my house to talk about the temple, have pictures of the temple, to study and discuss the scriptures and meanings of things in the temple, to want to learn more than just the primary answers. My Dad informs me all the time that I am spoiled to have been able to go to the Holy Land before entering the temple. It expanded my mind in a capacity to see things in a way that others cannot. Even in the simplest of terms. It paints pictures in my mind of the things the temple teaches that others will never be able to understand. unless you've been there of course. lucky dog.  I was also spoiled and blessed to have gone with people to Israel that study and loved it just as much or even more so than my Dad and I do. Judge Holt has the most impeccable mind that just can see and explain things in such a unique way that makes everything you read and study "*click*".  Lucky me gets to hear him in Sunday school too. Suckers. 
I ALMOST feel bad at the level of frustration that I get with people that get "mad" at the church or temple because it "doesn't follow anything we do or say at church". It has made me think way harder than I should on ways to explain why the church does this. My first parable  I could think of on the spot was anatomy of the human body, sorry, i'm a nursing student, it's habit.
In primary school, they teach you that this is an arm:

But when you get to college:
(after baptism, repentance, receiving priesthood, keeping commandments, getting endowed)
 They teach you that this is an arm. Something that you had no idea existed under that skin until someone had told you that there is muscle and bone and ligaments and tendons and vessels and so many other things that make it work. Something that they knew you wouldn't understand until you were older, and more mature, and had to study for yourself to understand. 

Another thought on the specific topic: a probably vulgar way to put it but it's what I thought of, haha. 
If you were allowed to have sex before you were married, and you talked about it with your friends, you performed the deed, fooled around, it was common talk---would it be that special or sacred of an experience when you finally found THE ONE ?
It wouldn't be the sacred and magnificent thing that it really is. 
Just like being able to bring a beautiful little baby into the world, the sacredness of attending the temple brings you into the presence of our Father in Heaven. 
When someone does not understand what is going on I almost choke them with my invitation to come to the temple so I can try and explain and alleviate their fears. To show them something they may not otherwise see by just going through the motions. There is SO many things to learn and teach and understand. Things that take patience, and studying, not just the scriptures - but words of people that have already put in the work to simplify it for you.  I think more often than not I use the phrase, " come with me and my dad and he can teach you the COOLEST stuff ". People are probably sick of it but it's like missionary work: if you know it will help, you've got to say something! 
When you go to school, if you do not understand something, you figure it out until you understand so you can pass the test. Is this life not a test? 

The temple is not something to be feared or hated. It is something to be studied and understood.   

“If you will go to the temple and remember that the teaching is symbolic,” said President Packer, “you will never go in the proper spirit without coming away with your vision extended, feeling a little more exalted, with your knowledge increased as to things that are spiritual.”


It is my new found goal for teaching and preparing my children and those around me to enter the temple not just physically and spiritually but mentally as well. To have the mind set to want to further understand the symbolism, teachings, and ordinances they are being entrusted with. It should be a positive experience that makes you crave for more, to want to go the next day, and the next day, and the next day... To make you want to bring your friends, and tell them what you've learned, and to bring them closer to their Savior. 
I BEG OF YOU, be prepared. 
Learn, grow, understand, and do not take it's sacredness lightly. Further your knowledge of the covenants you made and wear.  
if you don't understand the clothing, the church does a pretty good job :)
 

Click the  - He Lives - tab if you desire to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment